King County Search and Rescue is 100% volunteer organization. It survives only by people willing to donate their time and money. Our volunteers range from every age (must be at least 14 years old) and background. Our training sees experienced outdoor enthusiasts and folks who’ve never camped before. There is something for everyone and so don’t let experience, time commitment, or ability deter you.
What you learn in training:
- Search Techniques
- Litter Packing & First Aid
- Map and Compass skills
- Basic backpacking/camping/outdoor skills
Once the training is done, what does KCESAR do?
Basically four things:
- Evidence search (assisting law enforcement to look for evidence)
- Wilderness search (looking for lost people in the wilderness, e.g. overdue hikers)
- Urban search (looking for lost people in urban environments, e.g. dementia patients who wander off)
- Wilderness rescue (extracting people from the trails when they’re injured, e.g. broken leg)
How to get started? Come to an orientation (aka Course A)!
Upcoming Orientation Dates (Course A):
Please bring photo ID. Drivers, please bring proof of auto insurance
- Oct 5 Eastside Fire & Rescue
- Oct 7 Eastside Fire & Rescue
- Oct 19 Eastside Fire & Rescue
- Oct 21 Eastside Fire & Rescue
- Nov 2 Eastside Fire & Rescue
- Nov 4 Eastside Fire & Rescue